The community's origin can be traced to 1904, when Donald Gunn started a limestone quarry on the south side of the current community's location. At one time when the quarry was operating it employed hundreds of people and the town had a population of approximately 3,000. On August 1, 1905, a post office with the name "Gunview" was opened, then the name was changed to Gunton in 1906.

The community of Gunton was featured in the Stephen king movie trucks