Dumping of garbage is strictly prohibited on roads, drains, other public property, and/or other private property.
Curbside Waste Collection Services are provided in the following Townsites of the Municipality:
- Grosse Isle (that portion located within the Municipality of Rockwood)
- Stony Mountain and specified areas, including Hillcrest / Newcrest Trailer Court(s)
- Stonewall Trailer Court
Persons occupying residential premises may place for collection and disposal at the curb each week the following amounts of waste:
Maximum two (2) bags per Residential Premises.
Landfill waste must be placed in a black or green bag at the curb for collection every Thursday excluding Holidays. The size of bag shall not exceed a maximum size of 26" x 36" (67 cm x 92 cm) for Landfill Waste.
YARD WASTE (leaves, grass clippings, garden and flower bed vegetation and straw)
Maximum three (3) bags per Residential Premises.
Branches should be bundled in 3 foot lengths and tied. Yard waste must be placed in brown paper bags at the curb every Thursday excluding Holidays. The size of the bag shall not exceed a maximum size of 30" x 48" (76 cm x 122 cm) for Yard Waste.
Unlimited bags of recyclable waste as defined below**.
Recyclable waste must be placed in semi-transparent blue or clear bag(s) at the curb for collection every Thursday excluding Holidays.
ASHES (fireplace, wood stove)
In a suitable sealed non-flammable container.
Each container of ashes placed at the curb for collection shall not exceed 25lbs in weight.
EXCEEDS RESIDENTIAL PREMISES LIMIT
The above number of bags of Residential Landfill and/or Residential Yard Waste that may be placed at the curb for collection MAY ONLY BE EXCEEDED if there is a WASTE SURCHARGE STICKER attached to:
- the third and each additional bag of Residential Landfill Waste
- the fourth and each additional bag of Residential Yard Waste
Maximum four (4) bags of garbage (green or black bags) and unlimited bags of recycling (blue or clear bags)
EXCEEDS COMMERICAL WASTE LIMIT
The above number of bags of Commercial Landfill and/or Commercial Yard Waste that may be placed at the curb for collection MAY ONLY BE EXCEEDED if there is a WASTE SURCHARGE STICKER attached to:
- the fifth and each additional bag of Commercial Landfill Waste
WASTE SURCHARGE STICKER
Waste Surcharge Stickers may be purchased for $2.50 per sticker at the Administration Office of the Municipality at 285 Main Street Stonewall.
If the each additional bag of Landfill Waste and/or Yard Waste does not have a Waste Surcharge Sticker attached to each applicable bag, the additional bags above the allowable limit shall not be collected.
ELIGIBLE materials that may be collected for recycling are as follows:
- Newspapers, including flyers and glossy flyers, shredded paper (please keep dry)
- Magazines, catalogues and telephone books (please keep dry)
- Aluminum food and beverage cans (such as pop cans and beer cans)
- Steel and tin food and beverage cans
- All pop bottles, beer bottles, liquor bottles (plastic and glass)
- PET (#1 plastic) bottles (such as pop bottles and water bottles)
- HDPE (#2 plastic) bottles (such as milk jugs, shampoo and liquid laundry bottles)
- Glass bottles and containers
- Box-board (non-corrugated) (such as cereal boxes and 6-pack boxes)
- Corrugated cardboard such as cardboard boxes)
- Gable-top beverage cartons (such as milk cartons and juice cartons)
- Aseptic containers (such as "Juice" boxes)
- #4-7 Household Plastic Containers
Please Note: All containers and box-board / cardboard must be clean and dry (no food/product residues). Newspapers, flyers, magazines and catalogues must not be shredded nor crumpled. Glass jars and bottles are not to be broken. Remove all lids and caps. Please do not place any other waste items in the recyclable bags other than those identified above. If other wastes are placed in the recyclable bags, the bags will not be collected.
INELIGIBLE materials that are not recyclable are as follows:
- Plastic grocery bags
- Chip bags and food wrappers
- Hazardous waste containers (such as bleach and oil containers)